Friday, April 1, 2011

Let's Talk About...

The bitchface look. I suffer from it daily. I would say I could be diagnosed. The number one thing that a new friend says to me is: "Wow, I'm surprised how nice you are, since you came off as a real BITCH at first."

It's just my face.

I think it has to do with growing up in NYC, with a mother who made sure I was street smart by the time I was out of diapers. Don't talk to strangers. That has translated, over the years, into: Don't smile at strangers. Don't let your mouth turn upward in the tiniest bit. Don't even smile with your eyes. AKA, look bitchy.

It really works, in NYC at least. You look around and every girl has mastered the look so well that strangers (read:weird men with too much time on their hands who ride the subway all day and sit next to you and have terrible breath and ask you obnoxious, intrusive questions like: where are you going looking like that?") pretty much leave us alone.

Then one day I woke up in Wisconsin, going to college with a bunch of bright eyed, bushy tailed people (hi, guys!) who smile at everyone. I was stunned. At first I thought it was a mistake. "They must be confusing me for another half-asian girl," I thought. Nope, just smiling to be nice.

Three years later, I have finally mastered the face switcharoo: bitchface in NYC, niceface in WI. As for Denmark? I'd say I'm still working on it.




Happy Friday, everyone! Hope it's getting nice and toasty out wherever you may be...
:)

3 comments:

  1. Haha this made me think of my own issues with "bitchface" from time to time. Whoops! Can't always trust everyone I guess.


    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    B.

    That Girl in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want an actual picture of your bitchface.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, blaming your loving mother for your bitchface!

    ReplyDelete